Jesse Owenshof 84
Date of birth: May 14th 1982
Nationality: Dutch (Netherlands)
- 2008 - present - W!Games / Vanguard Games / Force Field VR (several mergers), Amsterdam, Netherlands
I've worked on several projects at W!Games / Vanguard Games / Force Field VR, both released titles, cancelled titles and unannounced titles. The released titles I worked on are:
- Term1nal - Term1nal is an adventure/stealth game for the Gear VR. We created some of the best graphics for Gear VR while maintaining a good framerate. This project was created in Unity. During this project I worked on asset creation, level building, vfx and lighting. I also supervised juniors/interns on this project.
- Landfall - Landfall is the first VR game released by Force Field VR. It's a table top tactical twin stick shooter built exclusively for the Oculus Rift created in Unreal Engine 4. I've worked on level building, asset creation, lighting and particle fx. I also coached several interns during this project.
- XCOR Virtual Space Expedition - At Force Field I've worked on a VR simulation for XCOR Space Expedition. The VR simulation can also be experienced in VR at the Omniversum in The Hague.
- Halo: Spartan Strike - Halo: Spartan Strike is the spiritual successor to Halo: Spartan Assault and has been released on windows 8 and iOS. Contributions: daily management of the art team in cooperation with the art director, regular communication with 343 industries, asset creation, particle fx and lighting.
- Halo: Spartan Assault - Halo: Spartan Assault is a top down shooter originally released on windows 8 and later on xbox360/xbox one, steam and iOS. Contributions; level building, asset creation, particle fx and lighting.
- Gatling Gears - Gatling Gears is a top down twinstick shooter for xbox live, playstation network and steam. Contributions; level building, asset creation, particle fx and lighting.
- 2005 - 2008 - Khaeon Games B.V., The Haque, Netherlands
Level artist on 'The Chronicles of Spellborn'. I worked on 3d asset creation, level design, level art, particle fx and lighting (including day-night cycles). The main part of my job consisted of building and lighting environments for this game.
- pre 2005 - Several side jobs during college and high school.
During my time in college and high school I've had several side jobs besides my education, these include; waiter at restaurants, customer service, promotion, handyman at a gas station.
- Artistic insight
I've got a good understanding of color, composition, scale, lighting, timing. During my career I've worked on titles with very different art styles and settings. I've worked on 2d/3d asset creation, environment creation, lighting, particle effects/shader effects and also some game/level design.
- Soft skills
Communication and leadership:
During the production of 'Halo: Spartan Strike' I've grown into a management position, tutoring other artists on the team, reviewing tasks and communication with management and production. During development I had frequent written and verbal communication with staff from 343 Industries regarding the progress of the title.
I've worked together on small and big projects with people from my own discipline and other disciplines. I always enjoy multi-disciplinary cooperation as it brings other insights than sticking to your own discipline.
- Professional skills
While working on game projects I've always worked in a structured and professional way. I work on a task until it is done but I do know when to stop.
I have worked under SCRUM agile development and the waterfall model and experienced the advantages and disadvantages of both methods.
I'm proficient in maya, photoshop, 3ds max (although it's been a while) and several other packages related to 3d art/game development. I also have experience with various in-house game engine tools, unity and unreal. I've created game logic in the Unreal Engine with blueprint scripting and another visual scripting tool which was used in Vanguard Games inhouse game engine.
- 2003/2005 - Hogeschool van de Kunsten, Utrecht, Netherlands
Design & Technology, I spent 2 years at this art college but chose to start working in the games industry.
- 2000/2001 - Hogeschool van Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Software Engineering, 1 year.
- 1999/2000 - Hogeschool van Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Construction/Architecture, 1 year.
- 1994/1999 - Martinus College, Grootebroek, Netherlands
High school, I finished it with a 'Havo' degree with the following subjects: math, english, dutch, physics, chemistry, drawing/art history.